If you’re an avid Instagram user, then you’ve likely come across a posted photo with an un-clickable website link in the caption below it;
Looks familiar, right? Maybe it’s followed with a tribe of hashtags including, but not limited to:
#liketkit #LTK #LTKHome #LTKUnder100
A variation of this link & the corresponding hashtags are all indicators that the IG post associated with them is 1) shoppable, and 2) monetized through an affiliate app platform called LiketoKnow.it. This app allows you to not only shop your favorite influencer looks on IG, but it also enables you to make commission from the sales of the looks you post!
Given that Instagram itself has changed in many ways since my original LTK post in 2016, that means there has been several changes to how the platform operates. In the process of changing over with the algorithm, many of LiketoKnow.it’s shopping & monetizing users became confused on how to use its new features.
So after taking a poll on my IG Stories, I’ve decided to post an updated “refresher” on how to use the LiketoKnow.it platform today in 2018 – both as a Buyer & as an Influencer.
HOW TO USE LIKETOKNOW.IT – AS A BUYER
One of your favorite influencers, that you follow on IG, just posted the cutest floral top in her latest post. She mentions in the caption that it’s under $50, comes in multiple colors, and is currently on sale. You start to imagine yourself in the top & suddenly convinced you need it in your wardrobe. But there’s one problem…she didn’t disclose the name of the brand who makes the top. The only thing included at the end of her caption is that random, un-clickable link and a few related hashtags (similar to what’s shown above.)
HOW ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHERE TO GET IT!?
When you sign up for LiketoKnow.it, you’ll get access to shop all those vague IG posts of your favorite influencers – ITEM BY ITEM!
Here’s how to get started:
1. Download the LiketoKnow.it app on your phone
2. Create an account
3. While on IG, screenshot your fave influencer images
4. Shop the products featured in the looks you like via email you signed up with
While on the LTK App:
4. Follow your favorite influencers by searching his/her IG handle
5. Scroll your LTK Newsfeed to shop by photo, per item featured, by influencer
What I like about the LTK app is that you get to control the photos you see on your newsfeed based on the influencers you choose to follow & shop from.
This also means you can find older posts that feature items you’ve had on your wishlist. For instance, let’s you’ve been thinking about whether or not to buy that floral top for 2 weeks and have finally decided to go for it; you can easily search the profile of the influencer who posted it weeks ago to find the item to purchase!
>> Get started by following me to shop all my looks every time I post to IG
HOW TO USE LIKETOKNOW.IT – AS AN INFLUENCER
Every Influencer can be a LTK buyer, but not every buyer can be a LTK Influencer.
What does this mean?
Although LiketoKnow.it is available to everyone to sign up for & shop from, it’s not available for everyone to make commissions from. Only Influencers accepted to the RewardStyle affiliate program are allowed to use LTK as a monetization platform.
RewardStyle is an invitation-only platform that’s highly selective. Most applicants, especially those new to blogging, usually face 1-2 rejections before getting accepted.
Don’t worry if you get rejected; You can always apply again! Here’s a great post I came across that might help your candidacy and qualification to get accepted to the RewardStyle program.
Once you’ve been accepted to RewardStyle, you can then start monetizing your IG posts through the LiketoKnow.it platform. Unlike the above instructional “How To” for a buyer, this part operates a bit differently.
(UNDERSTANDING THE APP)
631 represents the number of people following my LTK Profile
13,766 represents the number of subscribers that get an email notification each time I post a LTK image to my IG
$208.92 represents the amount of money I’ve made through sales of linked items this month
(LEFT TO RIGHT)
RewardStyle Earnings: break down the # of clicks, # of sales, & $ of commission (total & per item) made monthly
Link Ninja: allows you to find a link for a product that you might not have saved prior to posting / need last minute
Heart in Circle: home base button where you can ENABLE A NEW IMAGE & see ones already ENABLED (posted with LTK links) – this will also indicate the # of screenshots, # of emails, and # of sales made per ENABLED photo
Favorites: where you can search folders of products saved to your RewardStyle in order to copy the RS link(s) from; select folder – tap on desired image – click GET LINK to copy & paste (as IG Story Swipe Up option)
Search: another option to search for a product that might not be saved/needed last minute/or buried in the long list of already saved products for easier finding & access
Steps to Creating a LTK-Embedded Post for IG:
1. Download the RewardStyle app to your phone; this is what you will use to generate the LTK posts buyers can shop from, not through the LiketoKnow.it app instructed above.
2. Connect your RewardStyle account & IG Handle to the RS app
3. Click ENABLE A NEW IMAGE (square + box) to create a new LTK shoppable post
4. Select an image you want to monetize from your phone library
5. Select items you want to link in the photo saved in your RS folders
6. Write out the caption you want to include with the post; be sure to include the LTK link, #liketkit hashtag, and @liketoknow.it handle by clicking the 3 faded grey boxes before tapping NEXT at the top right. You can delete/modify the hashtag/handle tagged once on the Instagram platform, but DO NOT delete the html link in your final caption!
7. Once you’ve confirmed the caption & products linked looks good, click PREPARE FOR INSTAGRAM to open the IG app and finish posting. You will be redirected to IG from the RS app, where you will tap the + square to add a new image; you will be able to paste the RS caption created directly into the IG caption box before clicking PUBLISH.
8. The items you’ve linked include their individual Retail Price & below is the Commission Price you will earn if someone purchases the item you’ve linked.
LAST BITS OF HELPFUL TIPS:
– You can make commission off any item that someone purchases through access of your RS/LTK link; This means that someone might not purchase the top you linked, but instead bought a pair of jeans from the same site, all through the same transaction of when they accessed the site using your RS/LTK link.
– Because you can make commission from any item purchased through access of your link, try linking products from large retailers such as Nordstrom, Shopbop, Sephora, etc. This will strengthen the likelihood you will make some sort of commission!
– Creating specific folders on RewardStyle helps to organize the types of products you plan to feature/or post about often. For example, placing all furniture products in a HOME folder.
– By clicking the HEART icon in the RS app, you can access your favorites and copy the desired link of a product to embed in IG Stories for the Swipe Up feature (note: only available for business accounts with 10K+)